In the NEM Practitioner Series Dr Shami, Integrative GP and ACNEM Vice President, speaks with medical and health specialists who are practicing nutritional and environmental medicine (NEM), to get their personal insights and learn how their approach is transforming lives.
In this interview, Dr Shami speaks with Ophthalmologist, Co-Founder of Sight For All, and 2020 Australian of the Year Dr James Muecke AM.
They cover the following in this 30 minute interview:
- Dr Muecke’s journey into nutrition as an Ophthalmologist
- Why diabetes is the number 1 cause of blindness in working age adult?
- How did Dr Mueck become 2020 Australian of the Year
- What are the top 3 causes of visions loss and how do they link to nutrition?
- What could be causing the explosion in age-related macular degeneration
- Over 100 clinical trials showing we can put Type 2 diabetes into remission by reducing a patients carbohydrate intake
- Why the majority of patients are not aware that Type 2 diabetes can be put into remission
- The back story behind Dr Muecke creating the Sight For All charity
- How does Dr Muecke practice what he preaches?
Dr James Muecke AM, Ophthalmologist, Co-Founder of Sight For All, and 2020 Australian of the Year
Dr Muecke began his career in Kenya. He relocated to South Australia and became an eye surgeon and blindness prevention pioneer, starting both Vision Myanmar at the South Australian Institute of Ophthalmology in 2000, and Sight For All, a social impact organisation “aiming to create a world where everyone can see”.
In the 2012 Queen’s Birthday Honours, Dr Muecke was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia (AM). He received the University of Adelaide’s Vice-Chancellor’s Alumni Award in 2019 and was appointed the 2020 Australian of the Year.
Learn about reversing type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance at our upcoming Cardiometabolic Health virtual event on 23 & 24th October, where you can discover new and exciting ways to expand your practice into the environmental and nutritional care of this specialised field, and meet other like-minded clinicians. Register now to secure your place!