In the NEM Practitioner Series Dr Shami, Integrative GP and ACNEM Vice President, speaks with medical and health specialists who are practicing nutritional and environmental medicine (NEM), to get their personal insights and learn how their approach is transforming lives.
In this interview, Dr Shami speaks with Dr Jason Kaplar, an Integrative Cardiologist who incorporates principles of cardiovascular, nutritional, functional and Mind – Body Medicine in the care of his patients.
They cover the following in this 20 minute interview:
- Dr Kaplan’s journey intro nutrition as a Cardiologist
- What are the common conditions that GPs refer to you, and how do you implement nutrition and lifestyle measures into your consultations?
- How a patient’s weight can be linked with atrial fibrillation
- How do patients respond to your holistic approach?
- How does it feel to see patients adopting these nutritional and lifestyle practices?
- How do you stay motivated and practice what you preach?
Dr Jason Kaplan is a specialist adult cardiologist and physician. He studied Medicine at UNSW and graduated with Honours in 1999 then completed his Internal Medicine Training at St George and Prince of Wales hospitals and Adult Cardiology training at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
Prior to training in cardiology, Dr Kaplan completed additional advanced training in medical oncology and pharmacology. His training in these areas allows Dr Kaplan to adopt a more holistic approach to patient care, particularly those with multiple medical issues.
Dr Kaplan also has a strong interest in Sports Cardiology – an emerging subspecialty within cardiology providing cardiac care to elite athletes and exercising individuals and has worked with the NSW Institute of Sport, Olympic athletes and more recently has consulted to the National Rugby League.
Learn from Dr Kaplan at our upcoming Cardiometabolic Health online learning module on 23 & 24th October, where you can discover new and exciting ways to expand your practice into the specialised area of environmental and nutritional care of cardiometabolic health, and meet other like-minded clinicians. Register now to secure your early bird ticket price!