In the NEM Practitioner Series Dr Shami, Integrative GP and ACNEM Vice President, speaks with medical and health specialists who are practicing nutritional and environmental medicine (NEM), to get their personal insights and learn how their approach is transforming lives.
In this interview, Dr Shami speaks with GP, Medical Director & Founder of Whole Medicine, Dr Michelle Woolhouse.
They cover the following in this 19 minute interview:
- Dr Woolhouse’s personal journey into nutrition and integrative medicine, inspired by Prof Ian Brighthope
- How Type 2 Diabetes, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Hormonal Conditions are transformed through diet and lifestyle intervention
- How our foods have evolved and what impact it is having on humans
- Evidence-based research and the drawbacks with understanding complex systems (like food and human health) by using a reductionist model of research (such as a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trials)
- How to educate and inspire our patients to look for empowering ways to deal with their chronic diseases
- How does Dr Woolhouse keep herself well and live a “food is medicine” philosophy in a manageable way
“It takes courage to care for yourself – you can use your illness or discomfort as an inspiration to be the healthiest human being you can be.”
Dr Michelle Woolhouse, MBBS, FRACGP, ACNEM, FASLM
Dr Michelle Woolhouse founded the Whole Medicine clinic in 2009 on the Mornington Peninsula. Her philosophy is that health addresses the whole spectrum of a person’s life emotional, physical, mental and environment. This approach is best suited to people who are proactive about their health and who want to combine science with holistic practices to be well.
Dr Woolhouse is co-founder and co-host of the award-winning health podcast, The Good Doctors and was recently given a lifetime achievement award for services to integrative medicine by National Institute of Integrative Medicine in November 2019.
Learn from Dr Woolhouse at our upcoming Thyroid and Adrenal Conditions virtual event on 13 & 14 November, where you can discover new and exciting ways to expand your practice into the environmental and nutritional care of this specialised field, and meet other like-minded clinicians. Register now to secure your place!