In the NEM Practitioner Series Dr Shami, Integrative GP and ACNEM Vice President, speaks with medical and health specialists who are practicing nutritional and environmental medicine (NEM), to get their personal insights and learn how their approach is transforming lives.
In this 20-minute interview Dr Shami chats with Cardiologist and best-selling International author Dr Warrick Bishop about:
- The surprise heart attack at a fun run that got Dr Bishop thinking differently about cardiovascular health
- How nutrition and lifestyle measures are the foundation of any cardiovascular health
- Dr Bishop’s direct approach and “When the student is ready the teacher will appear” philosophy with patients
- The link with obesity and diabetes
- The Big 5 health conditions linked with high blood pressure, and the power of getting this under control through weight management
- Dr Warrick’s perspective on cholesterol and the use of statins
- Dr Warrick’s own health regime which includes an annual 24-hr blood pressure monitor, Mediterranean, low carb diet, intermittent fasting and exercise.
Dr Warrick Bishop is a 3-Time #1 International Best Selling Author and Cardiologist
With a special interest in cardiovascular disease prevention incorporating imaging, lipids and lifestyle, Dr Bishop is author of “Have You Planned Your Heart Attack?” with over 20,000 copies in print. The book is a discussion for patients and doctors about how we can be most precise about cardiovascular risk and save lives!
Graduating from the University of Tasmania, School of Medicine, in 1988. He worked in the Northern Territory and South Australia before completing his advanced training in cardiology in Hobart, Tasmania, becoming a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians and Member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand in 1997.
Working predominately in private practice. In 2009 Dr Bishop undertook training in CT Cardiac Coronary Angiography, being the first cardiologist in Tasmania with this specialist recognition.
This area of imaging drives his interest in preventative cardiology. He holds level B certification with the Australian Joint Committee for CCTA and is a member of the Society of Cardiac Computed Tomography.
Dr Bishop is also a member of the Australian Atherosclerosis Society and regularly contributes to education, guidelines and industry in this area. He has also developed a particular interest in diabetic-related risk of coronary artery disease, specifically related to eating guidelines and lipid profiles.
Dr Bishop is an accredited examiner for the Royal Australian College of Physicians and is regularly involved with teaching medical students and junior doctors. He has worked with Hobart’s Menzies Institute for Medical Research on projects in an affiliate capacity and is recognised by the Medical School of the University of Tasmania with academic status.
Learn more: www.drwarrickbishop.com