This online masterclass features US-based medicinal cannabis expert, family physician (and retired Colonel) Dr Philip Blair MD, and is supported by a host of Australian experts and doctors who are experienced in prescribing medicinal cannabis. This course presents the videos from this event, along with written case studies and additional reading.
This course is suitable for doctors and allied healthcare practitioners who wish to better understand medicinal cannabis, and in particular cannabidiol, one of the key active constituents of cannabis.
- Endocannabinoid System
- Overview of Medicinal Cannabis
- Pharmacology/Pharmacokinetics/Routes of Administration
- Safety: Drug Interactions CBD/THC; Addiction
- What Conditions Respond to CBD, Oral and Topical CBD Methods, Clinical Signs of CBD Effects
- Dosage: How to Begin to Prescribe, Monitoring, Management, Trouble-Shooting for Side Effects and Non-Responders
- Inflammation and the Endocannabinoid System
- Evidence Base: Medicinal Cannabis & Mental Health (Anxiety, Depression)
- Regulations for Prescribing: TGA Authorised Prescriber Scheme and Special Access Scheme
- Patient Advocacy
At the end of this course, learners should be able to:
- Describe the endocannabinoid system and its purpose, and argue the physiological basis of why medicinal cannabis may have therapeutic actions in the body for a range of conditions based on your knowledge of the endocannabinoid system.
- Debate the evidence base and clearly communicate to a range of stakeholders the rationale for the use of medicinal cannabis for a range of clinical conditions.
- Justify the choice of different types of medicinal cannabis products and routes of administration of medicinal cannabis, depending on the patient’s clinical condition.
- Communicate information to patients about safety aspects of medicinal cannabis.
- Describe the regulations associated with prescribing of medicinal cannabis, including how to complete an application under the Special Access Scheme B and how to apply to become an authorised prescriber under the TGA Authorised Prescriber Scheme.
ACNEM is immensely grateful for our collaboration with Global Health Initiative Australia and the expert knowledge they provided in producing the Medicinal Cannabis Masterclass.
This online course contains:
- 14 Videos
- 4 Case Studies
- Medicinal cannabis product information: 6 companies’ product information
- Online Quiz: self-test
"This course was great! The lecturers were clearly expert, and the content was really interesting. Loved the case studies. The scientific and chemical complexity was quite technical, but it’s great to have the PDF to refer too. I think it’s an important course for all doctors to know, even if we don’t choose to personally prescribe it due to the logistical difficulties. Cannabis has so much stigma attached to it, so it was great to learn the truth about it." J.F. (GP, VIC)
Member and Student discounts apply.
Current presentations recorded July 2020
ACNEM is grateful to our course sponsors for their support of this course, and for contributing their product information so that practitioners may gain knowledge about the range of medicinal cannabis products on the market. However, inclusion of sponsor information and product material in no way implies endorsement of ACNEM of any sponsoring company nor their products.