This module addresses a number of the most common functional and inflammatory gastrointestinal complaints that present to clinic. Conditions covered include gastritis and reflux, constipation, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, from pathogenesis to treatment. Our highly regarded presenters bring their clinical experience and knowledge on the application of nutritional and environmental medicine in collaboration with conventional medical practice. Current scientific evidence for the effectiveness of treatment modalities is presented including nutraceutical prescription, dietary manipulation, lifestyle modification and environmental factors, alongside the range of available testing and investigation options. It features presentations from highly experienced clinicians Dr Jason Hawrelak, Dr James Read, Dr Robyn Cosford and Dr Nadine Perlen.
By the end of this module, participants will be able to:
- Define small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) and its aetiology
- Outline the contributing factors to gastritis and reflux [and their impact on Vitamin B12 levels]
- List and explain the methods of assessing gastrointestinal and microbiome health
- Describe the role of specific dietary approaches for the manipulation of the microbiome
- Summarise the evidence-based lifestyle interventions that can assist in the management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Develop a comprehensive management plan for gastrointestinal parasites